What is Section J Certification?
Partners Energy complete over 500 Section J Certifications per year and are experts in commercial building certification.
Section J of the National Construction Code (NCC) Volume 1, outlines the energy efficiency requirements of non-residential buildings. The main objective is to reduce the amount of energy a building requires for its normal operation.
All new buildings in Australia need to demonstrate their compliance, so a NCC Section J report must be compiled to accompany the design documents at the Construction Certificate stage.
SECTION J ASSESSMENT
The Section J Assessment can be performed by two methods.
One is to check the design elements of the proposed development against the Deemed to Satisfy (DTS) provisions of the NCC
The other method is a verification method (JV3) which uses thermal simulation of the proposed development and its comparison with a reference building that meets all the DTS requirements of the NCC Section J. This assessment must be performed by an experienced and qualified energy efficiency consultant to minimise the risk of any non compliance issues or council rejection.
The performance requirements of the DTS provisions include meeting the Total R-Values of roofs, walls and floors, the glazing allowances and the air movement requirements. These detailed provisions also include the testing and installation of insulation, thermal breaks, compensation for downlights, floor edge insulation and detailed provisions for building sealing. These requirements fall into eight main sections in the NCC:
Part J1 – Building Fabric
Part J2 – Glazing
Part J3 – Building Sealing
Part J4 – Air Movement
Part J5 – Air-conditioning and Ventilation Systems
Part J6 – Artificial Lighting and Power
Part J7 – Heated Water Supply and Swimming Pool and Spa Pool Plant and
Part J8 – Facilities for Energy Monitoring
INFORMATION REQUIRED TO DO THE ASSESSMENT.
- To complete a Section J report Partners Energy requires:
Floor plans and elevation drawings showing
– internal layout,
– wall constructions and colour,
– roof type and colourfloor type,
– skylight locations and sizes,
– window sizes and
-window and wall shading.
- Desirable – window schedules, section details of walls, floor and roof, lighting design, ceiling plans
- Client emails architectural drawings (floor plans and elevations)
- A fee proposal will be provided within 24 hours.
- Written approval to proceed (email is sufficient) and target date for completion is provided by client
- Discussion with clients on recommendations and any noncompliance issues
- Comprehensive Section J Report finalised on or before the customer specified target date.
- Invoice will follow the report.
WHY CHOOSE US.
- Client’s timelines will be met
- Professional, efficient and reliable service (hassle free)
- Clear and concise report and comprehensive supporting details.
- Unlimited phone support for questions or clarification
- Competitive pricing
- Experts with 20 years experience
Partners Energy aims to give you the benefit of our 20 years of experience and expertise in building energy certification by delivering the most economic energy solution for your development to satisfy Section J council requirements.